Manohar Parrikar true statesman, one of the most revered statesmen succumbed to his chronic pancreatic ailment, that he was suffering for the past one year, on 17th of March at his residence in Goa. He is India’s 18th Chief Minister to die while in office and was aged 63. He was one politician who was respected by one and all including the opposition. His death was mourned by the entire nation. But what earned him the title of a ‘true statesman’? Read along…
- Manohar Parrikar true statesman, an eminent leader of Bhartiya Janata Party was the Chief Minister of Goa from 14th of March 2017 till his death. He had quoted two months back that he would continue to serve people of Goa till his last breath, which he actually did.
- Manohar Parrikar true statesman was born in Mapusa, Goa and studied at Loyola High School, Margao. He graduated in Metallurgical engineering from IIT Bombay in the year 1978 on pure merit. He was the first IIT alumnus to serve as chief minister of an Indian state. He was also awarded the Distinguished Alumnus Award in 2001 by IIT Bombay.
- Manohar Parrikar true statesman had joined RSS ( Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh) at a very young age in school and during the final years in school, he also became the Chief Instructor (MukhyaShikshak). He resumed his RSS work as a Sanghachalak(Local Director) soon after graduating from IIT at a young age of 26.
- Manohar Parrikar true statesman entered electoral politics in 1994 when he won on BJP ticket from Panaji Constituency. It was October 24, 2000 when he became Chief Minister of Goa for the first time.
- He also served as the Chief Minister of Goa from 2000 to 2005 and from 2012 to 2014. He was so humble, that he was often found sporting a scooter disregarding the security concerns.
- In 2012, as promised, he reduced VAT on petrol from 22% to 0.1%, making it cheapest in the country at Rs 55 per liter. He also reduced VAT on aviation fuel from 22% to 12%, thus making Dabolim airport a refueling stop for every airline. It implied more flights to Goa, thus bringing in lots of tourists and making up for the loss in revenue beyond expectations.
- He then served as Defense Minister of India from 2014 till 2017 in the National Democratic Alliance government under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi. For months he stayed in a Navy Guest House as the government bungalow had not been allotted by then. He will be always remembered for his noted contribution in streamlining several legacy norms in defense strategy and procurement.
- He was also one of the masterminds in the Surgical Strike done by India in 2016 against terror launch pads in PoK and was awake while the operation was on. He slept only by 6am in the morning after affirming the success of Indian jawans. He maintained his composure and credited his ability to be awake till late to his IIT days.
- He returned to Goa in 2017 to resume his term as the Chief Minister to hold the ruling coalition together as they didn’t agree upon anyone except him to be in the position.
- Manohar Parrikar true statesman also presented two state budgets in years 2018 and 2019 and inaugurated the famed bridge on River Mandovi and attended several important functions despite his deteriorating health, with a tube in his nose.
Manohar Parrikar true statesman was the real ‘Aamaadmi’ who contributed significantly in whatever he did but never showed off. He always preferred to stay with simplicity, away from the limelight and do his job with utmost sincerity. He was one of a kind and will continue to stay in every Indian’s heart forever.